Friday, 12 August 2011

The White T-Shirt

The white t-shirt is a nice all-rounder that I’m appreciating more and more these days.There’s something special about a white t-shirt. Of course the black t-shirt is a mainstay in any modern man’s wardrobe, but the white t-shirt has a certain pizazz that’s attractive. Its downright simplicity and versatility is hard to beat.

No, not the gangster version, but the sleeker, more stylish kind.

I’m heading out for a quiet coffee with a friend? Cool, no problem, I’ll just chuck on some tidy shorts, and a nicely pressed white t-shirt, smart shoes, and maybe a hat; I’m rockin’ that relaxed but tidy look.

What’s that? I’ve got an afternoon workout? Nice. Sweatpants or shorts and a nice plain white t-shirt. I’m feeling fresh and ready to roll. Also for me, there’s something weird going on at the gym, because I know suspect that I run longer and harder when I’ve donned a pallid colour, compared to the darker shades.

I’m just bumming around home? I’ll just put on either a white t-shirt, or a white singlet. It gives me a fresh feeling and it also slightly inoculates me from that itch which says I should be doing something more productive. If I’m lazy at least I feel clean in white.

Going out for a big night? Cool. I’m just slipping on some nice fitting jeans, funky shoes, and a pressed white tee with a funky design on; or perhaps a plain understated little number, because I’m like that, I come in under the radar.

So, why do I like the white tee so much? Well the psychology of colour appears to be my answer.

In humans at least, white seems to evoke the following for: purity, peace, comfort, simplicity, cleanliness, freshness, holiness, and trustworthiness to list a few. So here we infuse signs and symbols, with feelings and emotions. I’m not sure about holiness, but these emotional attributes are ones that I admire, seek to cultivate in my life, and respond well to; so it seems logical that I like white.

Also, in Summer, white tees keep you cool because they reflect light. There’s nothing like a fresh, white cotton tee to keep you cool in the torrid months.

Black is the other popular colour for tees, as well as the little black dress for women. Black’s more formal, having connotations of elegance, power, authority, mystery and sleekness. That, coupled with the well known fact that black is a good base colour for fashion, has seen it play a central place in my wardrobe for years. Whilst I’m by no means getting a divorce, I’m subtly shifting black and darker shades out of the default choice, and ushering in the simplicity of whites, especially the white tee.

2 comments: