Monday, 22 August 2011

The Tongue Scraper

I recently purchased a tongue scraper. I don’t suffer from bad breath – at least no-one has complained – but I was waltzing down the healthcare aisle last week and came across the curious little specimens. I’ve always been vaguely aware of them, but I don’t know anyone who regularly scrapes, until now!


So, a week into my tongue scraping and things are going well. I’ve noticed a markedly cleaner feeling post-brush, and dare I hint, fresher breath. I’m sure everyone is aware of that white pasty film left on the tongue after you brush your teeth – even after a mouthwash attack? Anyways, that pearly sheen is full of bacteria. Adding to the funk,
Professor Google tells me that at the back of your tongue are little dimples, and most of the really bad and stinky bacteria are found in-between these dimples, all festering and doing their bacteria thing. The bacteria release sulphur, that rotten egg smell. They account, apparently, for around 80-90 percent of our bad breath. Associate Professor Wikipedia opines that there are around 500 different types of bacteria found on the tongue; probably a lot of these characters are harmless, or even beneficial, but that still leaves a large contingent of unwelcome disco dancers.


The problem with merely brushing the tongue is that the brush is too coarse and bulky to do the job in the dimple territory, unless you like to gag. However, the tongue scraper is a nimble fellow and gets right back into the cheap seats to bring out the badness. It’s easy, and the difference is noticeable. Get into it and let me know how you fare!

No comments:

Post a Comment